A concise, evidence-based medical tool that saves you money
Does Remdesivir work better than Ivermectin for reducing my chance of dying of COVID?
MedHead Confidence Score: 5
Amount Saved: $2930 cost difference between Remdesivir and Ivermectin
Remdesivir is a very expensive drug, touted early in the pandemic to save lives. Unfortunately, as is often the case in branded drugs, the evidence begins to wane over time. In fact, Cochrane posted a review on Remdesivir which really doesn’t support it’s $3,000 price tag. Other reviews have stated that Ivermectin actually has more of a chance of helping COVID than Remdesivir does. I know this goes against the opinions of many specialists out there. But the way we weight our data at Med-Head doesn’t put a whole lot of stock into expert opinions and consensus statements. This response is backed up by credible research studies. Before you perform an ad-hominem attack me or our way of doing things here, read the studies below. Then do some more research. I’ll wait for the “aha” moment. You’re welcome.
1. Ansems K, Grundeis F, Dahms K, Mikolajewska A, Thieme V, Piechotta V, Metzendorf M-I, Stegemann M, Benstoem C, Fichtner F. Remdesivir for the treatment of COVID‐19. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2021, Issue 8. Art. No.: CD014962. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD014962. Accessed 28 December 2021.
2. Anjum S. Kaka, Roderick MacDonald, Nancy Greer, et al. Major Update: Remdesivir for Adults With COVID-19: A Living Systematic Review and Meta-analysis for the American College of Physicians Practice Points. Ann Intern Med.2021;174:663-672. [Epub ahead of print 9 February 2021]. doi:10.7326/M20-8148.
3. Shaikh, Q., Sarfaraz, S., Rahim, A., Hussain, M., Shah, R., & Soomro, S. (2021). Effect of Remdesivir on mortality and length of stay in hospitalized COVID-19 patients: A single center study. Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences, 38(ICON-2022). https://doi.org/10.12669/pjms.38.ICON-2022.5779.
4. Tanni, S. Et. Al. Use of remdesivir in patients with COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Jornal Brasileiro de Pneumologia . Jan/Feb2022, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p1-13.
5. Singh S, Khera D, Chugh A, et alEfficacy and safety of remdesivir in COVID-19 caused by SARS-CoV-2: a systematic review and meta-analysisBMJ Open 2021;11:e048416. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2020-048416.
6. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa2023184. Accessed 1/17/2022.
7. Zhang, C. Et. Al. Efficacy of COVID-19 Treatments: A Bayesian Network Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Front. Public Health, 28 September 2021 | https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2021.729559.